Vegetarian Southern Succotash
Find me a hearty southern dish that serves as an easy side for a potluck dinner, or stands just as easily alone for dinner on a weeknight, and I’ll love you forever. My Vegetarian Southern Succotash is one of those I-can’t-believe-it’s-that-simple dishes I turn to time and time again.
Like any traditional succotash recipe, my Vegetarian Southern Succotash calls for lima beans and sweet corn combined with a splash or two of heavy cream to create a fresh, seasonal and rich dish. You can really use any kind of shell bean here, but I always prefer butter or lima beans for their buttery taste and texture. And the beauty of succotash is you can add a whole slew of other ingredients to the mix, like garlic, sweet vidalia onion, crisp celery, red peppers, jalapenos and herbs.
My favorite herb to use with my Vegetarian Southern Succotash is freshly cut thyme and flat leaf parsley; it adds a bright, warm flavor to the summertime veggies. And while traditional succotash typically has bacon, I made mine vegetarian with “faux” bacon which I promise still delivers that hint of smokey, meaty taste that we all crave. Seriously SO simple and SO good…and dare I say it’s a semi-healthy comfort food?!
- 4 CUPS OF FRESH LIMA OR BUTTER BEANS
- 1 VIDALIA OR SWEET ONION CHOPPED
- 3-4 CELERY RIBS CHOPPED
- 1 RED BELL PEPPER CHOPPED
- 2 CUPS FRESH OR FROZEN CORN
- 4 GREEN ONIONS CHOPPED
- 1 JALEPENO DE-SEEDED AND FINLEY DICED
- 4 GARLIC CLOVES MINCED
- 4 STRIPS OF FAUX BACON COOKED AND CHOPPED
- 2 TBSP. UNSALTED BUTTER
- 1 CUP HEAVY CREAM
- A FEW SPRIGS OF FRESH THYME AND FLAT LEAF PARSLEY CHOPPED
- SALT AND PEPPER
- IN A LARGE DUTCH OVEN MELT 1 TABELSPOON OF BUTTER OVER MEDIUM HIGH HEAT. ADD IN ONION AND GARLIC AND COOK 2-3 MINUTES OR UNTIL ONIONS BECOME TRANSLUCENT. STIR IN CELERY, BELL PEPPER, AND JALEPENO COOKING ABOUT 5 MINUTES.
- ADD IN BEANS, CORN AND 1/2 OF THE GREEN ONIONS AND COOK AN ADDITIONAL 5 MINUTES.
- ADD CREAM, REMAINING BUTTER, 1/2 FRESH HERBS, SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE AND COOK ON LOW FOR 5 MINUTES OR UNTIL THE CREAM HAS STARTED TO THICKEN. RIGHT BEFORE REMOVING FROM THE HEAT ADD FAUX BACON AND COOK FOR AN ADDITIONAL 1 MINUTE.
- REMOVE FROM HEAT AND TOP WITH REMAINING GREEN ONIONS AND FRESH HERBS. ENJOY!
Use #WelcomeHome and show us how you 'succotash'!